Monday, December 28, 2009

I'm back from Japan! :)
Have not blogged in a while, so I should.
Today I sacrificed movies I have been longing to watch secretly like :My Fair Lady. Okay, that was only one movie, but I also wanted to watch The Secret Garden.
The Secret Garden (I'm talking about the 1993 film adaptation of the novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett.) was my favourite movie when I was 9-ish. (Then Back to the Secret Garden came out-- the sequel & I also liked it cause the girl was pretty.)
I bought the kiddy adaptation of the book from borders, but failed terribly at completing the book!
And my point is, I gave it all up for my lit text: Housekeeping. (How could I have resisted Airplane movies right?!)
by Marilynne Robinson
She has several quotes that I liked very much. (Cause its partly related to my Art coursework Theme)
"Memory is the sense of loss, and loss pulls us after it"
"Memories are by nature fragmented, isolated & arbitrary as glimpses one has at night through lighted windows."

Then like, on a more personal note:
"...Because, once alone, it is impossible to believe that one could ever have been otherwise. Loneliness is an absolute discovery..."

I don't think I know the book very well, but I'm just struck how she can come up with such nice-sounding sentences that have so much truth in them.
Like Anatole Broyard from The New York Times commented(this is totally ripped off from the back cover),
"Here's a first novel that sounds as if the author has been treasuring it up all her life......"

The whole book is filled with sadness. but its not really the heavy kind of sadness like the kind you'd get from reading the bell jar.

Okay. I rambled a lot about a book that I'll probably fail for.

1. I didn't study anything like I said I would.
2. I didn't make anything like I said I would.

I BOUGHT MANY THINGS FROM JAPAN. *guilty*

No comments: